Friday, September 4, 2015

Arad

So it would appear I have a fair bit of time on my hands, perhaps this means I can update more regularly.

So let's talk about Arad.


The city is composed of about 25,000 people. To be honest, though I am here to help Ethiopian immigrants, I have yet to see any Ethiopians,

The vastly predominant population appears to be Russian. Why they would come to a city in an environment that has little likeness to Russia is beyond me. I'm assuming the bad Israeli policy of dropping people off in the middle of nowhere has something to do with it.

It was once the case that the Israeli government used to take new immigrants and just transport and drop them off in the middle of the Negev, the beginning of a massive desert where little life grows, and there is even less water. It composes a huge area of Israel.

This policy has led to massive outrage among those who were subjected- imagine you immigrated to the U.S. and the government decided you would settle in the Mohave desert. As you can tell, this pissed off a lot of people. For generations actually. Even 3rd generation people in established cities stemming from this practice are extremely resentful of this having been done.

I wouldn't exactly say that the policy was canceled or even reversed either- I think they just decided to be more tactful about where they decide to send people. But it's still in the Negev. It's like somebody in the administration went, 'Hey we have a lot of immigrants. There's no one in the Negev and we need to settle it, so let's send them there. What do you mean ask where they want to go? They're lucky we're here to help them'.

Seriously, that's what the attitude feels like. And I'm being a bit fairminded in describing it as that.

Because of this Arad is predominantly Russian. There's even a 'Little Russia' section of the town. Perhaps I will be able to practice my Russian in the end. It's absolutely abysmal, though.

On the plus side, the cats (which are treated like we do in the U.S. for rats) are pretty well fed. I'm pretty sure the first cat I saw here was drunk, also.

The women are extremely beautiful. I cannot put that more plainly- they are flowers in this desert.

The building I am staying in is one of the largest in Arad. Most of the people living here are also aide-workers, nation-builders like we in MASA are doing. The rest are students. No one own cats, but apparently dogs are allowed. Everyone Russian here has a pooch.

The mall of Arad is extremely nice. And has a supermarket that's either like those back home, or like Tesco in Europe. It's really hard to decide.

The city itself has a rugged feel, and dust is everywhere. Despite that the city has a strong American feel. If you were American, you would feel right at home. I can't put my finger as to why yet, but it's there. I imagine this is what most of California feels like right now.

English is not spoken much here. So asking directions won't do much.

There is something of a vibrant night-life. But it's more personal. Instead of bars, you hold the fiesta in your own home. It's different in that aspect.

My roommates are still nursing their respective hangovers. That's what you get for partying with Russians.

I'll keep y'all posted- for now I'm going to scour reddit.

No comments:

Post a Comment