Tuesday, September 1, 2015

And So A Chapter Closes



Today is my last night here in Mata, where I am WWOOFing.

The experience as a whole was quite nice. I would say it very positive.

It's just that it ended on a bittersweet note.

I suppose that's because I ended up getting attacked by a dog, and that's not fun, especially when it manages to bite you.


But, on the plus side, we managed to plant the two fig trees (both over 75 years old) and that was really nice. Josef, our host had been wanting to do that since before I even got there. So it was nice to plant them. He intends to plant at least eight trees, one of each spoken of in the old testament.

I think that nice, and I was happy to be able to help him make that happen.

I did a lot of things here over the four weeks. I dug a pond, unearthed an ancient house, dig and plant a field, install poles, concrete, and feed horses. I also cleaned a hell of a lot of planting trays. I'd say I'm an expert now in cleaning trays.

I got to experience my first shabbat dinner in many years. I believe around fifteen years, maybe longer.

I come from a Jewish family, but am myself a practicing Buddhist, so it made the experience very nice.

I got to have a good natured fight with a Brit who has made Aliyah and is a boxer- I won't tell you who won, but it was fun and unexpected. I've practiced martial arts for 21 years, so anytime I have a chance to throw down I take.

We had a lot of good discussions, Josef and I- despite have different approaches in life (He is Jewish, I am Buddhist) we found ourselves when speaking of life and morality agreeing on a lot. I got to live with an Israeli family who like me made Aliyah, which I am in the process of doing.

And there were ups and downs throughout my time here- but by far more positives.

I learned a few things from this- when WWOOFing you not only need to keep an open mind, but I earnestly advise bringing a first aid kit, of which I did not do. I am fortunate Josef had one, but when attacked by the dog I was out for the day, so I had to hunt down some neighbors who had alcohol and iodine I could treat the wound with.

Stay hydrated- I became extremely sick the second day I was here because I had not drank enough water. It creeps on you, and then smashes you like a train. You don't realize you're dehydrated until just climbing a set of stairs leaves you exhausted, and you're bent over a toilet puking.

I would advise avoiding that if possible. Stay positive- the work can sometimes be hard, and the lifestyle your host has will always be different than what you have lived. Staying positive and keeping your mind open will make a huge difference. I'm used to eating meat (I'm not the best or worst Buddhist) but the family I spent time with is vegan. That is a big, big change. 

I am happy I spent my time here. Their life is wonderful. They run a spiritual center from their home, a homestead they have built by hand between a large yurt and tents.

But all things do eventually change, and have to end. The time for me to go to my volunteer job in Arad where I will be teaching English for five or ten months and helping create a MASA program to teach English to immigrants has come, and though I am looking forward to it, I will miss Mata and the Yahad center I WWOOFed at.

And that matters- because when you leave and miss something, it was because you had a hell of a good experience. I'd do it again if possible- minus the dog attack if possible.

Wish me luck, for I'll be wishing you the same in your WWOOFing adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment