Monday, July 13, 2015

The First Day

Well, I decided to a few days before writing this post, because it has frankly been quite hectic.

But it's been a whirlwind adventure.

I will do my best to keep it as succinct as possible.

The flight from Toronto to Tel Aviv was insane. I have been on literally dozens of flighs, maybe even more than a hundred, and this one took the cake. There were two birthright trips on board, a trip sponsoring jewish youths by the Israeli government.

One was Canadian and the other from Los Angelas. Let's just say that from the moment the fashion seatbelt sign was removed, nobody sat down. There was even dancing in the aisles. I recall at one point the captain came out and looked around to see what was going on.

He ended up staying out for about 45 minutes, I heard him at one point say the plane was on autopilot when somebody asked.

The plane was trashed in the end. And I felt bad for the flight attendants. Especially since they had to get special Kosher meals to specific individuals and pretty much every youth had swapped seats by the end of the plane ride... several times. I managed to get some decent video, so once I can get it uploaded, you'll see what I'm talking about.

The airport was little better, but stunning inside.



 For as hyped up the security is in Israel, its way more relaxed than you would think. Although I was detained for several hours (not having a visa can do that) none of my bags were checked and after a scolding I was let go.

I exchanged my money, getting about 700 for the money I had with me. The taxi ride ate 200 of those shekels, which was my first clue to this sojourn being way more expensive than I had anticipated.

But my real shock was when I got to the Kibbutz Naan. Now I had been told to come early, but I think I actually came too early. When I got dropped off at the main office next to the apartments I would end up staying in, there was nobody here. No staff, no lights it looked abandoned. I had been informed there would be people there already, but since there was no one I resigned to wait around and see what would happen. I got tired of waiting so decided maybe I had the wrong place; after all there was a huge dig site nearby, as well as row after row of surprisingly well kept modern houses with green lawns. There was also a peacock sitting on an overturned shed-like structure. All in all it was weird, but also it seems very Israeli.

I wandered through town; there was a nice pool and was eventually pointed numerous times back to the kibbutz. I resigned to stay and wait, parking my bags outside of what was probably the office, across from the kitchen.

A few hours passed by, and another peacock wandered by. Eventually a nice South African or South American (At various times she referenced being from both) emerged from the building, and informed me the kibbutz was not open yet, and she didn't know what to do, and needed to phone the director, Ilan.

Nevermind I had been specifically instructed to come at least a few days early.

Eventually I was given a room, and taken to a cafeteria to learn that the only meal eaten in this particular area was lunch. As American, I was explained lunch was their dinner. I had to say I was quite surprised- I do not eat breakfast, but I do tend to have some of something to eat in the evening. Nope, say good-bye to dinner at least while here in the kibbutz.

The food was very well cooked, and the rice the second best I have ever had. The only person who cooks it better is my father, and the way he does it is an art I've never been able to come close to.

While I have access to the kitchen, it is mediocrely stocked; my mom wasn't kidding, Jews really aren't known to be hungry.

I was then taken on a short tour of the town and introduced to the store. It's funny, but some things like hummus, or chocolate milk are extremely cheap, say 10 shekels or 3 for the milk, but then essential commodities such as water are 33, when a bottle of wine is around 30, usually less, and sunscreen as much as 50.

It's even stranger because all the water in the kibbutz is drinkable and clean.

Outside the store a kitten was mewing loudly, while two others watched nearby. A dog wandered by, and seeing me, sat between my legs for a few minutes while people walked in and out. One guy eventually exited the store and shoed the loud mewing kitten away, but it came back a few minutes later. Cats, dogs, and peacocks, oh my.

I retired a few hours later as the sun began to set. It gets dark pretty quick, and with it my jet lag caught up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment